At The Bishops’ C of E and R C Primary School we are dedicated to providing children with high quality teaching and competitive opportunities.
- Our school is part of the Chelmsford School Sport Partnership. Please click HERE to view their website
We, the child, the teacher, the official, the spectator, shall show good sporting behaviour towards everyone.
We pledge to have respect every day, in every sport and for everyone.
Accepting victory and defeat graciously, treating everyone fairly, speaking considerately and politely and accepting official’s rules and decisions without complaining, we shall abide by the rules of the event.
We shall applaud achievements and perseverance, give positive comments throughout, to competitors, officials, teachers and spectators.
- Our school is part of the Chelmsford School Sports Partnership
- All staff have available to them an excellent range of training offered by the Chelmsford Schools Sports Partnership as well as in house training provided by our specialist coaching team and P.E. Co-ordinator
- All children have available to them competitive inter-school sport across the academic year, this includes Year 2 Mini-Games and Year 4 Superstars
- Providing specialist dance, gymnastics and team sports curriculum teaching to all children from Year 1 to year 6 on a bi-weekly basis
- Providing specialist coaching for gymnastics for Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1. This is also an opportunity for teachers to develop their skills in delivering a successful PE curriculum
- Providing specialist coaching for basketball to children in all years (Foundation Stage to Year 6), including a club to further develop the skills for Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2. Fine and gross motor targeted groups throughout the year for pupils who specially benefit from extra confidence and skill-building in PE. This is also an opportunity for all teachers to develop their skills in delivering a successful PE curriculum. Also there are opportunities for talented pupils to train for forthcoming competition
- Providing specialist tennis coaching to Year 4, also there are opportunities for talented pupils to train for forthcoming competitions
- Recently, we have invested in a new sports facility (Multi-Use Games Area). This is enhancing playtimes, curriculum lessons, clubs and increased the space available for sport on the school site. Alongside this, sporting equipment has been purchased to ensure as wide a range of sport is available, the equipment is maintained to a high standard and there is opportunity for all children to enjoy active playtimes
- In addition to this we provide Performing Arts and Public Speaking classes, with a specialist teacher, to all pupils
- We offer a range of PE/fitness clubs often including; football, netball, cricket, basketball, dance theatre, street dance, dodgeball, golf, sports skills, tag-rugby, tennis, athletics, cheerleading and gymnastics
- Swimming provision is available to those children in Year 5 who cannot swim 25 metres. The following year any Year 6 children who still have not achieved their 25 metres are offered the opportunity to continue lessons if spaces are available
- 60 of our 64 most recent Year 6 leavers can swim over 25metres = 94%
- On average, more than 70% of the school represent The Bishops’ as part of inter school sport competition.
- On average, 62% of our pupil premium attend an extra-curricular club, while 70% of those who are identified as vulnerable do. All pupil premium children are offered extra-curricular club places and are contacted
- All teachers provide intra-school competition within PE lessons
- Our more able sports children receive extra provision from specialist coaching.
- Staff train and develop children to compete at Chelmsford School Sports Partnership and county events
- We feel it is important to celebrate sporting successes that the children are part of, in school and out of school. We do this through their sharing in whole school or Key Stage assemblies as well as reporting through our weekly newsletters. We also have a PE celebration board within school, we also use this board to promote and support local clubs within our community
- We hold an enjoyably competitive ‘School Games Day’ each summer, and our Year 6 children take part in a residential each October in the forests of Norfolk where they participate in outdoor adventure activities including canoeing, climbing, caving and team-building challenges
- We compete in the Chelmsford School Sports Partnership Boys & Girls Football Leagues as well as the Netball League.
- All children in KS2 take part in the Daily Mile as part of their PE lessons.